The NCAA Eligibility Center determines the academic and amateurism certification of college-bound student-athletes for Division I & II schools.

Who should I talk to about NCAA Eligibility?

  • You will still see your regular academic advisor for general guidance counseling, but Jennifer Jeitz is the contact person for any assistance or questions regarding NCAA at Rudder High. You can email her at or call her at 209-7935.

What is the NCAA Eligibility Center?

  • The NCAA Eligibility Center determines whether or not students can be certified to participate in athletics at Division I & II schools. You must register with them before playing collegiate sports.

When should I start worrying about the Eligibility Center?

  • Meet with your academic advisor during your freshman year to plan your academic career, and you can register with the Eligibility Center starting your sophomore year. See the checklists below for more detailed timelines.

Where can I find more information about NCAA Eligibility?

  • Log on to to register and check your status with the Eligibility Center or download the “Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete.”

  • Log on to, click on “Academics,” and select “Student-Athlete Academic Eligibility” for more information.

Different colleges have different admission and eligibility requirements, so begin making post-secondary plans early in order to achieve and protect your eligibility status!

NCAA Division I Requirements:

  • Graduate from high school.

  • Earn the minimum required GPA in 16 core courses.*

  • Earn a combined ACT or SAT sum score that matches the core course GPA from the NCAA sliding scale.

For NCAA Division II Requirements:

  • Graduate from high school.

  • Earn at least a 2.0 GPA in 16 core courses.

  • Earn at least an ACT sum score of 68 or an SAT combined score of 820.

*Beginning August 1, 2016, NCAA Division I will require that 10 of these core courses be completed by the end of the junior year of high school. Additionally, students enrolling in college on or after August 1, 2016, will need at least a 2.3 GPA to be eligible for competition.

You must also meet amateurism requirements for both divisions that certify you as an amateur student-athlete rather than a professional athlete. Update your athletics participation information with the Eligibility Center often, and log on to the NCAA Eligibility Center website for a list of activities that could potentially affect your amateurism status.

(For NCAA Division III schools, eligibility is determined by each individual institution.)


  • Work hard in your classes and begin planning your academic career using your school’s list of NCAA Approved Core Courses (See, and follow the “Resources” link.).


  • During your sophomore year, register with the Eligibility Center at

  • Sign and return the appropriate release forms to Mrs. Jeitz in room 1024.


  • Enter the Eligibility Center code “9999” when taking the ACT or SAT so that your scores are sent to NCAA.

  • If you have free/reduced lunch status, ask for a fee waiver for the ACT or SAT in the Go Center, and let Mrs. Jeitz know which test/s you received a waiver for so that your Eligibility Center registration fee can be waived as well.

  • Ensure that the courses you are taking are listed on your school’s list of NCAA Approved Core Courses.

  • Upon completing the school year, request that your academic advisor send an official transcript to the Eligibility Center.

  • Before registering for your senior classes, meet with your academic advisor to determine which required core courses you have remaining.


  • Sign and return the appropriate release forms to Mrs. Jeitz if you haven't already done so.

  • Continue taking core courses from the NCAA Approved Core Courses list, and repeat the ACT or SAT as necessary in order to obtain the best possible score.

  • Review and update your responses to the amateurism questionnaire, and request final certification (April 1 for fall enrollees or October 1 for spring enrollees).

  • Continue working hard in your classes so that you can graduate within eight semesters, and request that your academic advisor send a final transcript with proof of graduation to the Eligibility Center.